Saturday, July 5, 2008

Weekend - Not Going As Planned

Well, things aren't percolating along as I planned this weekend. Yesterday I felt pretty blah most of the day because I stayed up way too late the night before (and had a leetle too much rum). I didn't feel like going anywhere, so didn't make it to the fabric store. I didn't feel like working on projects.

But the day wasn't a total loss ... I had gone upstairs to my hobby area for a bit, and suddenly got very fed up with the mess. I cleaned and rearranged that area last winter ...


... but over the course of use in the past few months, it had gotten pretty messy again. It didn't look anywhere near that nice yesterday. I decided to clean it up again. Which always mushrooms into a huge project. I have one of those big folding tables which I didn't really have room for, so I intended to keep it folded up out of the way except when I was actually working on something. Yeah, that didn't work - when in the midst of a big project, being able to leave it out and just go back to it whenever without an hour of set-up was important to me. So I began rearranging the area so I had room to leave the table set up all the time.

Then I decided I wanted my desk moved over there - it was something I'd planned from the beginning, but hadn't gotten around to. The desk was buried in another part of the upstairs, but I unburied it, dragged it down to this end of the upstairs, and got it in place. I did some general cleaning up and putting things away, and also threw away a bunch of stuff that I really didn't need, wasn't going to use, and was tired of cluttering up my space.

I didn't quite get it done, but I made a huge amount of progress on it, so I'm happy. The left side of the room still looks pretty much like that picture, it was the other side that I changed drastically, getting rid of plastic stacking shelves and putting the folding work-table along that wall.

I'm hoping that the more straightened up and organized the area is, and the easier it is to get to things I want to work on, the more likely I will be to get other, old projects completed, and be able to get new things done without it taking 16 years. I have a lot of languishing projects (the Tolkien quilt, for one) and a lot of new projects I'd someday like to try (landscape quilting, making a scrap quilt out of all my carefully trimmed 5" square scraps, more weaving experiements, not to mention all the Pennsic projects I have in mind, that aren't going to get done this summer, but I want to get done sometime). Having a good, convenient area to work on this stuff will, hopefully, enable me to start getting into some of those things.

Well, after this current flurry of projects is done anyway. I don't mind that I have an overwhelming number of things I want to do ... I live for my projects and making things.

Last night we had a dual fireworks display going on. The city where I live puts off fireworks in one of the parks, which happens to be situated in such a way that we can see them from the neighbor's back yard. So we went over there for the 'main' display, but some people one street over in the opposite direction had apparently used their stimulus checks and maybe the sale of a couple body parts to buy fireworks this year - they put off a display almost as good as the city's, and at the same time. We were constantly torn as to which way to face, and the yard was aglow with fireworks from both directions. Pretty impressive.

Meanwhile, it's 8:00 a.m. and I'm awake and energetic - good night's sleep last night - so I think I'm going to go get started on something.

No comments: