Thursday, July 31, 2008

One More Day ...

And it's going to be a long one. I changed my plans slightly ... since I didn't get everything done I wanted to get done last night, I decided not to try to go out to Pennsic tonight. For me to do that, I'd have to work today, then come home and rush like mad for the next several hours, just to get there (probably near or after dark), exhausted, and still have my bed to set up. (I didn't set it up last weekend because I was waiting to see whether my tent was going to leak).

I hate rushing around to get anywhere, but especially there - arriving already stressed and exhausted is no fun.

If I wait till tomorrow to go, then I can have a nice evening with Tyler tonight and do the last minute things I didn't get done yesterday, I can take my time getting going tomorrow, spend some time with Tyler at my brother's before I rush off, and still get to site with hours of daylight left to settle in and chill out.

It rained once this week on site, and my tent did have some minor water issues - apparently the seams didn't leak, but in one spot the side wall got so saggy (the tent is very old) that near the bottom it was touching the tent floor, water wicked in there, and created a small puddle. Greg said he'd see if he could figure out a way to get the tent pulled a little tighter on the frame, to alleviate that problem. If not, I just have to figure out a way to keep my bed away from the side walls (in a tent that small, it will be tricky). Everything else is up off the floor or in totes, so will be safe from getting wet - if I can just keep my bedding from touching the wall, wicking in moisture and getting soaked, I should be okay. Oh! I just had an idea - I noticed that for some reason I had an unopened plastic painter's drop cloth in my tote. I wonder ... if I spread that on the floor and up the side walls of the tent, then put my bed on top of it, during the day I could pull the plastic over the bed and protect it from any moisture, and at night I could just pull the plastic up along the walls, and ... figure out some way to fasten it to get it to stay there (only because I'd rather not sleep under a sheet of plastic if I can avoid it) ... then if the walls sagged the only thing they'd be touching would be the 'wrong' side of the plastic, away from me. That might be something to try.

Meanwhile, this is entirely creeping me out this morning.


He must have been busy overnight, this wasn't there yesterday. I try not to kill anything, but I can't have this thing making a web condo on my porch with me leaving for vacation ... it'll look like Shelob's lair when I get back. I'll either have to wait till he's out, or figure out a way to chase him off, and then tear down his handiwork. He can go build it somewhere else, more private.

No comments: