Monday, February 23, 2009

Settling In, Freaking Out

Well, things are moving - slowly - along. I am sick as a dog, flu or something, and had to call off work today. But it worked out well, because in between swooning and having to rest, I have been very slowly unpacking a few boxes. Yeah, I know I shouldn't be - I'm really sick, not just faking it to get the day off to stay home (as my boss probably thinks), so I should be resting and getting better, not working here.

But I'm only doing a very little bit, slowly and carefully. And so at least some small progress is being made. And I'm only doing that because if I don't get something done pretty soon, I'm going to have a bit of a melt-down. Yesterday was rough, rougher even than Saturday. Greg and I went back to the old house with the moving truck, and got as much more stuff as we had time to get, by ourselves. But I am extremely, extremely disconcerted about how much stuff is left there.

Then we had to bring it home, unload it all, and get the truck back to the rental place, stop at the grocery store for a few staples, and come home and eat - which we got to do finally about 9:00 at night.

Greg was determined to eat his first meal at the new house in his pub, at one of his pub tables, so before diving into dinner, he put one together, and got his wish.


This morning he spent a little time fixing up the pub, and it's coming along quite nicely.



The lounge area outside the pub is starting to shape up, too, although it has a little ways to go yet.


Because we had to get the truck unloaded last night to return it, but had no place to put the stuff (and very little energy) we dumped it all in the living room, which is a complete disaster area. That's why I've been forcing myself to do at least a little bit between resting, because if I don't get some of that cleaned up soon, well ... I was serious about the meltdown. The stress is starting to get to me. It's just a timing issue - there are so many different things to do, and no time to get them all done. I've missed a bunch of work now, which I need to make up. Yet I can't work over during the week, because now that I can't come home to let my dog out at lunchtime, I have to come straight home from work, because he'll already have been left alone for over 8 hours, more than he's ever had to endure in his life.

And next weekend we have to go back to the house and try to finish cleaning it out, for which we've already decided we're going to have rent a truck - again. There's just too much still to fit in our own trucks. And Sunday I am really going to need to spend some time working on this place, so don't know if I can go in to work extra then.

This place is, as I said, a disaster. Our bedroom isn't set up, I don't even know where all my clothes are, there's no food in the house. Some time that stuff has to be taken care of too.

I'm not expecting to get the place in perfect order in a couple days, but there are a few necessities that have to be taken care of - like food and clothing. And I have to find time to make up this time I'm missing from work. So ... imminent meltdown understandable.

Oh, and the furnace is acting funny, and one of the things I hoped to get done today while I was home sick was have someone out to look at it. The previous owners provided a home warranty, but I wasn't given the information on it, so I can't call in a service request without my contract number, which I don't have. And, they told me even if I had it, they only guarantee to send someone out in 48 hours, but you can't schedule it, and they don't do Saturdays. I can't take another 2 days off work just to sit here waiting for a furnace repair person. So I have no clue what I'm going to do about that, unless I give up on the home warranty and just call someone myself, and pay for it. Which I will probably have to do.

It'll all get done eventually, I know - it's just very, very hard right now. I wish I had done several things differently, but I didn't, so I'll just have to muddle for awhile. I'm sure this is why I got so suddenly, badly sick - just running myself ragged over the weekend with next to nothing to eat. I could definitely write a book - "The Complete Idiot's Guide to How Not To Move."

But don't get me wrong - it's all going to be well worth it. I really love this place. It already feels like "home", and I know that doesn't always happen ... when I moved into my last house, I felt like I was in a motel for weeks. It wasn't homey at all. I feel like I've been hanging out in this pub my whole life already. It's a beautiful thing. :o)

1 comment:

Greg said...

Yep - it's taking too long, and overwhelming. I don't care. I've got a wonderful woman and a lovely home to come back to - no matter how bad any day is.

ILY Poppette!