Monday, August 11, 2008

Home From War

Well, that was the best Pennsic I've had since my first one. And the first one was phenomenal. This year more than made up for the disaster of last year.

The weather was beautiful. It wasn't as hot as it's been some years (don't get me wrong, it was hot there for awhile - but not brain-baking hot like some I've seen). Then during War Week it began to rain off and on - generally sporadic and shortlived, often at night or in the early morning when it really had no effect on the day - definitely nothing that was very troublesome at all. Along with that came a change in the weather, it cooled down considerably. Days were breezy and cool, and nights - well, this is the first time I ever remember being actually cold at Pennsic at night. The last two nights I was there I was freezing when I first went to bed, although after I'd snuggled in I was fine. But that was a definite first.

We had a great time. Greg and I spent more time together than at most previous Pennsics, we went out a few nights wandering, stayed in some nights just hanging out by the fire. I did some shopping, which went extremely well. I watched some fire performers one night at a party, which renewed my interest in poi ... which looks like this ...




That video is of GlitterGirl of Temple of Poi - the best poi dancer I found in my online searching yesterday. I'd gotten interested in it last year after seeing a performance, but hadn't thought much about it again until this year. So I bought my first set of practice poi balls, and that's already become a minor addiction (though I don't seem to be getting the hang of it very quickly).

Even though we came home Saturday evening, and tear-down and pack-up went as well as it could, I was so exhausted. We re-inflated the air mattress and plopped it in the living room, and barely got off of it all day Sunday (except for me to go out and practice poi a bit). I never even unpacked the truck. It's going to be a long week.

Anyway - on to the pictures.

A view up the road from our camp.

Rum tasting in camp.


The rum to taste - straight from Tortuga, brought by a friend of ours whose parents sailed around the Caribbean this summer.


We had a wedding this year. Dante and Elspeth got hand-fasted (and legally remarried) at the Chalkman Pub next door to our camp.


This guy sat still way longer than I expected, allowing me to get this crazy closeup.


The guys of our combined camps, Sea Chameleon and Shire of Hornwood: Archibald, Gavin, Dante, Robin, Berg


Our neighbor's beautiful little set-up. Greg and I hope to have something like this soon, although ours will be bigger - because with the kids there are more of us, and - well - we're bigger slobs, so need more places to hide stuff.


Pirates Night Out! Me, Robin, Berg.


The Commodore and his Wench. (umm, that's me and Greg)

The pirate coat! The embroidery wasn't completely done, but I put the cuffs on and wore it anyway, and I'm glad I did - it was great fun.

Sorry, Berg - that's not a pirate hat either.

Then it was over, all too soon ... this is the disaster that is tear-down and packing up.



And so ends another Pennsic. I have lots of great memories this year, and a good year at Pennsic has one major side-effect. We're now so excited about next year we're already making plans to improve our camp. Can't wait! But the best part of coming home was getting to see Tyler again. I really missed him ... but he's home and settled in and, in fact, sleeping right next to me now.

No comments: