Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Tyler's Recovery

Tyler's doing really great. He's moving around very well - in fact, I'm struggling to keep him from trotting all over the place. This dog's always been a trotter. When he moves around the house, he trots. When he goes outside he trots around the yard. When we go for a walk, he trots the whole way. The dog rarely just walks. Now that he's feeling better, he keeps wanting to trot, and I keep panicking - the vet said no running. I don't know if trotting counts as running, but I don't want him doing anything that might jostle his insides around and risk his internal stitches. It's great that he feels so good, but the better he feels, the harder it is to keep him calm and quiet enough not to hurt himself.

I won't be so freaked out about it in a week, when things have had time to heal better.

He's also drinking plenty of water, and eating well (what little he's allowed to have).

He's started wanting to lick his belly all the time, though, so I had to go get him one of those Elizabethan collars. So we all decided that the proper thing to do would be to sign it, like people do with casts.


He was not amused. (He actually looks perkier than in this last picture; I didn't want the flash going off in his eyes, so it's dark and grainy). I haven't left this on him all the time, just when he's licking incessantly and I can't be right there to constantly stop him.

I've been very lucky to have a couple of great friends watch him today and tomorrow while I'm at work, but they won't be available Thursday and Friday, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do then. Unfortunately, I think my only recourse is to crate him, which he'll hate - and I can't find my crate. Looks like I may have to buy a new one.

But hopefully recovery will proceed as smoothly as it has so far.

No comments: