Saturday, May 17, 2008

By Jove, I Think She's Got It!

Check this out!!


This is what I got done yesterday. This is the front left side of the cardigan. The color's a little wonky in this picture - indoors, at night, with a regular lamp as the only light. I didn't use the flash because when I tried that it just washed everything out till you couldn't see the pattern.

Okay, I'm really liking this. And I'm getting really psyched because, to my complete amazement, the gauge appears to be dead on. I've measured this piece several times and it matches the schematic exactly.

The world's going to end.

I like the pattern, too, and the way I've set it up. Because of the number of stitches I needed to cast on, and the number of stitces in the pattern repeat, I had 13 stitches left over that I couldn't use in the pattern - but I needed them to make it the right size, I couldn't just get rid of them. So I decided to do 6 stockinette stitches on the button-band side, and 7 on the arm side. Turns out that looks really cool - almost like a frame for the pattern.

I decided to do a picot hemmed bottom edge, and I think that's going to look really awesome as well. (It's not sewn yet, just turned up for the picture).

Since this beginning of the front worked out so well, it looks like this is the color it's going to be. Today I'm going to order the rest of the yarn I need to make the whole sweater.

I was only able to get so much done yesterday because, being confined to the living room floor with Tyler, that's almost all I did all day. Under normal circumstances I don't have that much time, so I suppose progress on the sweater will drop off in the next week or so. But I'd like to keep up a steady pace on it, because I'd like it to be done in time to wear this summer - what it was intended for. It's a light yarn with an open lacy pattern, and I intend to put 3/4 length sleeves on it. Besides, I'm tired of it taking me two years to make something. This does go fairly quickly, though - the pattern's not terribly complicated to work.

I haven't decided yet whether or how the back's going to be worked - with the stockinette stitch 'frame' or not. Some of that will depend on the stitch count and whether or not I have to do that. I also haven't figured out what's going to happen where these patterns meet at the shoulder, as I was too impatient to chart the whole thing out and try to arrange it so the patterns ended or met at a pleasing point. But once I get to the armhole shaping, I'll have to decide exactly what length I want the sweater, because once I begin the shaping it'll be too late to change it. Maybe at that point I'll do some figuring, and work it out so the pattern ends at a nice point just below the shoulder.

And I haven't decided what kind of edging I'm going to put around the front and neck edge. I don't want to do the same picot hem thing. Maybe just a standard rib of some sort. I also still need to pick out buttons, or decide whether I'm even going to have buttons, or do something else instead.

Wow - this 'design your own sweater' thing rocks. I am liking this so much better than trying to follow published patterns (and being continually frustrated). I am far more psyched about this project than I have been about any other sweater project for a long time.

No comments: